Rain On The Graves (song)

This appears to be a teaser for the new video:

1 Like

Second teaser:

And a third:

One more teaser and I’ll cancel my preorder of the album… stop messing around and just give us the bloody song Bruce!

I’m guessing the video production was delayed and they couldn’t finish it in time before last week’s comic release. I got the impression from the Swedish interview in December that they hadn’t even shot the video at that point.

Premiering on Wednesday:

1 Like

Well, that was a simpler song. Enjoyable enough, with a good riff, a catchy chorus, and a nice solo, but it didn’t make a big impact on me out of the gate.

No sir, I don’t like it.

Nice to see the whole live band in the video though.

Maybe I’ll have another listen.

Yeah, I thought Zombie Roy was kind of funny.

On first listen (and while watching the video) I wasn’t very keen on this song. It surprised me, I was expecting another heavy song, but instead I got something like prog / circus rock with a much lighter touch than in “Afterglow”. Well, that was my mistake. After listening to it a few more times, I do like the song. It’s fun, and the somewhat shaky overall feel especially during the verses is fascinating. The chorus is nothing special though, I would have liked something more to happen there. The main riff is really good.

I’m not too happy about the production though. It doesn’t sound like a band playing together. Same thing as in “Afterglow”. I like the fact that Bruce is going straight at it, giving his all in the story-telling verses, but I also think he could have done a lot better in some of those parts.

I love the short riff part between verse 2 and the first chorus, where Roy is doing bends on the bass guitar. Overall it’s nice to hear the bass, which you can’t really hear in “Afterglow”. The jury is still out on Roy’s bass playing though. After listening to the whole album I’ll decide whether or not it was a good idea that he played it himself.

Cool song! I shouldn’t have taken it too seriously on first listen.

Blockquote I like the fact that Bruce is going straight at it, giving his all in the story-telling verses, but I also think he could have done a lot better in some of those parts.

I forget if it was the comic Q&A or another interview I listened to, but Bruce said about 80% of the vocals on the album were done in the first take, which would explain why he’s a little off time on the verses and certainly could have done it better.

As for the song itself, I find myself wanting to listen to it and Ragnarok just about every day. Neither are mindblowing, but I was fairly certain after what…19 years since Tyranny that we’d never get another solo album. For me, a Bruce solo album I look forward to oftentimes more than a new Maiden album, because it’s such a rarity. The two new songs are good, catchy, and I love that they’re different from his previous albums…both have this doomy touch to them that I wasn’t expecting.

2 Likes

He’s been saying that 80 % of the vocals in “Sonata” were improvised and done on first take back in 1998, but I don’t think that applies to the rest of the album. Unless I’ve missed something, of course.